Emmanuel Church London Privacy Notice
This document explains how we process information about you. It explains how and why we deal with your information and what your rights are.
The ways we use your information are ways you would expect - like managing serving teams and keeping you informed about events. For some specific things we’ll ask for additional consent. For more information please read this Privacy Notice in full.
You can tell us that you’ve changed your mind about giving your consent. You can also tell us if the information we hold is not accurate or if you want us to delete the information we hold about you. Details of how to do this are in this Privacy Notice.
Who are we?
Your personal data – what is it?
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of personal data is governed by [the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”)].
We may collect, hold and appropriately share different categories of data, these include:
- Personal Information (such as name, telephone number, address and email address)
- Donation information (such as gift aid declarations, records of contributions or giving)
- Volunteering Information (such as where DBS checks are required to volunteer in some capacity)
- Characteristics (such as gender, ethnicity, language, nationality, country of birth)
- Special categories of personal data (such as your religious beliefs)
How do we process your personal data?
- For staff administrators; to manage our employees and volunteers. If you are an Emmanuel attendee, to administer your records.
- To inform individuals of news, events, activities and services running at Emmanuel.
- If you volunteer, to maintain our lists and records, to manage and send out rotas. We will enter some of your data onto ChurchSuite, our church database.
- If you join a connect group, to enter your data onto ChurchSuite and details given to your group leader for the purposes of running the group.
- Managing and facilitating Emmanuel Children’s Church or the Emmanuel Youth group.
- For events you have signed up for, to keep you updated about programme, speakers and any practical aspects.
- To process donations and gift aid applications.
- To monitor and assess the quality of our services, to fulfil our purpose as a church and to comply with the law.
- For the pastoral team - to provide pastoral care to attendees of Emmanuel
What is our legal basis for processing your personal data?
In other circumstances, under Article 6 Para 1(f) of the GDPR, we may process your data in ways you would reasonably expect where it is within our legitimate interests to do so. This would include instances where we process data for volunteering, Connect Groups, events and processing donations.
In circumstances where you disclose more sensitive information to us for example information in relation to criminal convictions, marital status or sexuality. We will endeavour to have additional protections around this information.
As a church, we have permissions under Article 9 Para 2(d) of the GDPR to process data relating to your religious beliefs.
Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated as strictly confidential, and will be shared only with Emmanuel Church London employees, select volunteers and specific data processors. We use Churchsuite to hold and manage your data for some purposes. Churchsuite is a “data processor” and is restricted in what it can do with your information by both the contract it has with Emmanuel Church London and by the GDPR. We will only share your data with other third parties outside of Emmanuel Church London with your consent. Quickbooks is another “data processor” we share your data with for the purpose of managing our finances.
Storage and security of your personal data
We keep your data for no longer than reasonably necessary. We will process your data as long as you are an attendee of the church or are in regular contact with the church. E.g. Sunday services, volunteering and/or connect groups.
If you stop attending or are no longer in regular contact with us, we will retain your data for a maximum of 1 year unless you specifically request for your data to be deleted earlier except where it is necessary for us to retain that information for other reasons (eg children’s church rotas for safeguarding purposes).
We use automated processing (see section below) to help inform our decision regarding this.
We hold your data for varying lengths of time depending on the type of information in question but in doing so we always comply with Data Protection legislation. Details of retention periods are available in our retention policy. Please contact [email protected] to request a copy of this policy.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and the ICO where we are legally required to do so.
Your rights and your personal data
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which Emmanuel Church London holds about you;
- The right to request that Emmanuel Church London corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for Emmanuel Church London to retain such data;
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office.
You can contact the Information Commissioners Office on 0303 123 1113 or via email https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/ or at the Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire. SK9 5AF.
If you would like your data removed from any of our lists, or if the information we hold about you is not accurate, please contact us at [email protected]